Book: The Nanny Diaries


Alright. Now, I don't want to bash, but I need to be honest. This was, in fact, one of the most frustrating, terrible books I have ever read. I kept hoping for some kind of character development or resolution, but the most I got was a passive-aggressive rant.  Some of the characters were set up nicely, and some I just couldn't imagine being in real life. 

The book is about a college almost-grad who takes a job as a nanny in New York City. She takes care of one little boy, and he is pretty adorable. But her employer, Mrs. X, is just terrible. She treads on everyone else, and only thinks of herself. The nanny, then, instead of confronting her about it, passively complains to everyone in her sphere of influence rather than confronting the woman. 

The book left me feeling extremely angsty. And with a solid resolve to never become a nanny.  I really wouldn't recommend this book to anyone. 

P.S. They even made a movie about this. The movie is not much better, as it follows the story line pretty close. 

No comments:

Post a Comment