The Foreigner

I haven't been very good at posting lately. I have the time, I just feel like I don't have a lot to say. Nothing crazy or out of the ordinary has happened. Oh wait. I rescind that last remark.  Here's a good story for you....


Exposition: I am a foreigner. I have a job on campus. Foreign students can only work on campus, and can only work for a maximum of 20 hours a week. 


Story: Last week was insane. I had a ton of papers to do, tons of midterms, and life, and a script, and something else. Madness. In all this madness, I accidentally wrote my work hours down wrong, and therefore they were submitted to the payroll secretary wrong, and therefore recorded down wrong. Not a grievous error, right? Easily corrected, you say. Nay. 


Since that particular pay period ended the day before I submitted my hours, they were pretty set in stone. I hadn't realized the error of my ways until I received a nasty email from the International office, saying that had to cease and desist, that my visa was in jeopardy, and I was in danger of being deported. Say QUE???? So I checked my submitted hours, and there was my mistake. For some reason, I had included a block of time I'd scheduled a meeting into my work hours. Oops. And that little error had put me over 20 hours for the week. By FOUR MINUTES. Yes friends, nearly deported over 240 seconds.  After a few frantic emails and one rather crabby Canadia, all was resolved. No longer any danger of deportation. I could resume work again. 


I did lose 3 days of work, though. So that pile of work I have to do? Yeah, it's still not going away. Drat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment