Book: Revenge Wears Prada




I started reading this book on a cold February day while I was in New York. I was supposed to meet Luke for lunch, but he got delayed, so I went to the library to kill time for a little while. I only made it through the first few chapters before I had to leave, and I finally got around to finishing it up in August. This book is the sequel to The Devil Wears Prada, which I read last summer, so I kind of knew what I was getting into. 

The story picks up 10 years in the future, where Andy is now running her own magazine, planning her perfect wedding, and no longer has any contact with Miranda Priestly at all. As it turns out, her new mother-in-law hates her, which introduces some good conflict early on. While this conflict is a slow burn during the first half of the book, it isn't until about halfway through the novel that anything really starts to come of it. It's also at this point that we find out Miranda wants to acquire Andy's new magazine, and is relentless in her pursuit. 

I won't give away the juicy bits, as they are pretty stellar, even though it was a bit obvious what was coming. The climax and resolution comes fairly late in the novel, but it comes in spectacularly, with Andy finally speaking her mind and standing up for herself. The novel wraps up on a hopeful, but uncertain note as Andy considers her future possibilities. This ending makes me think that perhaps someday there will be another sequel, but I'm not holding my breath. 

If you're looking for a dramatic read that pulls you in, this is the book for you. It's a page turner, but there are a lot of pages. It's not a quick read, but it's hard to put down. If you need a little more drama in your life, this is the book to pick up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment