Food Diary, Day One

The Women's Services office here on campus is having "A Week of Mindful Eating" workshop. Every day there's an activity, a goal, and journal questions to answer. The goal is to have a better relationship with food by the end of the week. Now, true to who I am, I'm a day behind, so today I'll be doing two entries. 


Today's goal was to take a quiz about my eating habits. I scored a 33, which puts me in the healty eating category. Yay! THen I matched myself with a specific eating type. I found that I fit into a few different categories. I'm a chaotic unconscious eater. That means I'm so busy, and have so much going on that I don't sit down and enjoy a meal. I eat on the run, or squeeze it in when I can. It also means that eating becomes a part of multitasking; it's just one more thing to do. The other type I am (at least, the one I'm trying to be) is an intuitive/mindful eater. People who are this type focus on when they're really hungry, and what it is that they really want to eat, and they don't feel guilty about it. I've been trying to do that. Once, a saw an ad in a magazine about eating disorderes. There was a girl at a table, with a caption that said
Eat when you're hungry. Stop when you're truely full. Eat exactly what you want. Do this, and it is unlikely that you will ever have an eating disorder. 
At the time,  I wasn't sure if I believed it. But the more I think about it, the more sense it makes. Eat what you want, when you're hungry, but don't overeat.  Because I have found that if you withhold the food that you want, you'll only rebel and eat more of it later. I've been trying to really pay attention to my body, and what it needs. I'm not the best at always eating a balanced meal, so I'm really trying to listen to what my body is telling me when it craves certain food. And you know what? It's working a lot better than any other died I've ever tried.  

No comments:

Post a Comment