NYC: Week 10, Plus Monday and Tuesday Morning

This last week in the city was stressful. I had lots of little loose ends to tie up, plus packing, and a brief move {don't worry, I'll get to that}. 

Monday: Since we leave in a week, I need a new suitcase {the one I brought to New York got damaged by the airline}.  I considered just mailing everything home, but then thought better of it. I looked up a few places, then headed out around noon to begin shopping. I looked at JC Penny and a few boutique-ish places in Midtown, but I didn't have any luck. I met up with Luke for dinner, and went home empty handed. 

Tuesday: Day two of the suitcase search continues. I looked up a few more places, and headed out. I heard that there were some good shops in Brooklyn, but I didn't have any luck. In Manhattan, after striking out at a few more stores, I finally found one at TJ Maxx. It's blue and shiny, making it look kind of like a mermaid. But it suits my style, it's super light, and I'll be able to find it on the baggage carousel. 

Wednesday: I talked with our "landlord", who asked us if we would be willing to move to a different apartment for the last few days of our stay. He had some other people book our apartment for after we had gone, and then they changed their dates, and wanted to come in sooner. Since there was only two of us, and we didn't have that much stuff, we agreed to switch apartments for a few days. We decided that we would move over on Sunday. 

Thursday: Souvenir shopping! I went back to the NY Public Library and a few spots nearby, before heading down to Chinatown and Little Italy. I got what I needed, plus a few things for myself. Then I went back home to do a little cleaning and get the laundry done {last time at the laundromat!} Sad story: I left my quarters at home, and had to go all the way home and then all the way back again. 

Friday: A little more shopping! Mostly I stuck around Midtown. I wandered, shopped, and got myself a little lost. This was also Luke's last day of work! We talked about going out for dinner, but decided to just stay home and eat whatever we had left {I hadn't been grocery shopping in about a week}. 

Saturday: Today was pretty uneventful. After working so hard for the last 10 weeks, Luke just wanted to have an easy day. So we sat at home for most of the day. I did a bit of packing and cleaning, since we're relocating tomorrow. I also may or may not have started a countdown until we get to go home...

Sunday: Today was the day of the switch. Our new place is just a few blocks away, and much bigger than where we'd been staying this whole time. It has three bedrooms and has two floors {I guess it's kind of a split level}. We missed church because of the move, so we just bummed around all day. We napped, and then later we went out on a walk in our "new" neighbourhood. 

Monday: Our last day! I can hardly believe it! We straightened up, then went out for one last trip around town. We went down to the Brooklyn Bridge, saw the Statue of Liberty {sort of}, walked around the financial district, visited the World Trade Center memorial garden, and stopped for dinner in Times Square. Late in the day, we headed back to get ready to go home. We packed up, and decided that we'd be better off staying up all night, since we had to leave for the airport at 3am. 

Tuesday: Our "landlord", as a goodwill gesture for making the apartment switch, offered to drive us to the airport. He picked us up a little before three, and dropped us at La Guardia. The rest of the day really deserves it's own post, since it was a bit stressful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment