Books: Bossypants, Pink Think, and More

My writing has been suffering. I haven't created anything new in months. They teach you that in order to be a good writer, you need to be a good reader. So I took it to heart. 

I read Bossypants, Tina Fey's first book. It was clever and engaging. It told of her struggles and how she really had to work to get to where she is today. I loved it. It was funny. She told things as they really are. She was open and honest. She was inappropriate in hilarious ways. I highly recommend it. 




I read Pink Think, a text book of sorts, which took a look at how the standards for a "proper woman" were created through culture from 1930-1970ish, and how that has affected us today.  The essence of the books was what "pink think" was - the impossible standards that were set before women; clean the house in pearls and heels, don't make conversation with your husband (it bores him), motherhood is the height of a woman's sexuality and the only way to realize your womanhood, domesticity is where it's at, etc. 



The book was eye opening, without condemning women who believed that pink products would make her more ladylike, or mocking the culture that created the unobtainable stereotype. Again, a highly recommended read. 



I read Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me (And Other Concerns), written by Mindy Kaling, writer of my favourite show The Office. An easy read, I polished it off after dinner tonight. Entertaining, engaging, Mindy comes off as someone instantly relatable. I feel as though I ought to have more intelligent things to say about it. But it was a lighthearted read. I could tell she had fun writing it. And getting a little insight into the life of a TV writer is very interesting. 





Fun fact: Mindy and I have the same computer. And love of cupcakes. 



I feel as though I should close with some witty statement in order to wrap up this almost-book review. How about I say this: I miss having elementary and high school reading assignments. I miss the easy book report. I miss reading something challenging, then having a teacher explain what it really means. I've forgotten how good it feels to finally understand what "allegory" means and then to see it written and have a new meaning to a favourite book. I miss being the only one not grossed out by the ending of The Grapes of Wrath, because I saw the deeper meaning. 

Reading is more than just a pastime for me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment